Thursday, April 10, 2008

I went south...kind of.

Welcome back, friends and family! So it's probably been more than two weeks since our last "conversation" and I apologize. There's been lots going on and I just haven't had the time or energy to blog. I promised the scoop on Nashville and here it is.

I believe Tennessee is considered a "southern" state and when the opportunity arose I headed south! I was invited to Nashville to participate in a focus group type of meeting to discuss the needs, goals, and future of Sunday School programs in the United Methodist Church. Little did I know I was going to be in way over my head, but I survived and walked away with new energy and plans for my little group of kids.
I stayed an extra day so that I could squeeze in some sightseeing and started to panic Friday evening when a huge storm came in and snow was predicted. I watched the news and the whole city seemed to be in panic over the coming snow. It turns out it hadn't snowed in Nashville for 5 years and just my luck it was going to snow on the weekend I was there! I imagined being trapped in my hotel room, in the middle of nowhere, and then being stranded at the airport as the flights were delayed, or worse yet, canceled. I finally went to bed as there was nothing I could do until the morning when I could assess how bad the storm was and stress over what my fate would be.
It had snowed all night, and I awoke to a snow covered city. The view from the hotel was not pretty, but the snow was lovely (at least to me...growing up in SoCal I've never had to shovel my driveway or dig out my car so I can appreciate and marvel at snow).

I happily headed off for my tour of Nashville. First stop: the Parthenon which was created as a replica of the Parthenon in Athens, Greece. It was really bizarre to see this monument in Nashville. It was a gorgeous sight, but it just seemed really out of place.

Here is the AT&T building or as the tour guide called it the "Batman" building.

This is the inside of the Ryman Auditorium, the original home of the Grand Ole Opry. The photo is not a good one. I wish I would have had one of those great professional digital cameras with a good flash.

This bronze sculpture sits in the lobby of the Ryman. It is Roy Acuff, the King of Country Music, and Minnie Pearl, the Queen of Country Comedy. (Disclaimer: I don't know anything about Country Music, nor am I a fan. I don't know who these people were, just sharing what is on the sculpture's plaque. :) )

I also visited the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum.

Here's is Elvis' gold piano:

Our last stop was at a "Honky Tonk" bar where the amateurs perform in the hopes of being discovered.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was the end of my trip. I headed for the airport 3 hours early for my flight and did my best to keep busy while it was time to get on that plane and go home! I wish I would have had a little more time for more sightseeing, but I am grateful for what I was able to see and do.
Talk to y'all soon!

1 comment:

Nunazuna said...

I think it's funny that you went to the Country Music Hall of Fame since you hate country music. But really, what else is there to do in Tennessee? Did I spell the right. To bad this comment thingie doesn't have spell check. Anywho! I'm glad you made it home safely and Thank you so much for my wonderful litte gift from Tennesses! I love it...and so will little Jack! I love you!!!!